Position Title: Web Developer / Programmer
We’re looking for a full-time (35 hours per week) web programmer to work with our team on several initiatives, including developing digital humanities projects within an academic framework.
The ETCL is a leading-edge digital humanities research lab, working on a variety of exciting projects. Self-motivated personalities are essential. Individual development and new ideas are encouraged!
Experience & Qualifications
The successful candidate should have completed a computer science or other relevant degree program, or have commensurate professional experience, and can demonstrate skilled proficiency in the following tools and technologies:
– Strong programming fundamentals and aptitude for / experience with the following:
- XML/XSLT/HTML5/CSS3 and W3C Standards
- Relational databases (esp. MySQL and PostgreSQL)
- Content management systems, including WordPress and Drupal
- Apache, Tomcat, and Linux server administration
- Project management
- Version control (with Git, Gitlab and Github)
- Experience with current interface development using AJAX, JQuery, Node.js, Bootstrap or similar frameworks
- Experience with other relevant technologies, such as Ruby on Rails and Elasticsearch
- Experience with graphic design in a web-based context
- Experience with Solr and Tika
- Experience with Shibboleth, OpenID Connect and/or other SSO technologies
– The ability and desire to learn technologies on this list that the candidate lacks is an asset.
- Develop, implement, and manage database-driven websites in a humanities research context
- Participate in meetings and constructive discussion with other team members
- Engage in requirement elicitation
- Offer consultation, technical planning, and project solutions
- Understand humanities concepts and find ways to realize them as technical solutions
- Provide reporting and documentation
- Perform server administration
The position may begin as early as January 2018, and is in the form of an annual, renewable contract.
Salary for this position is at U Victoria rates and will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Applications, comprising a brief cover letter, a resume, links to completed projects, PHP code samples, and the names and contact information for at least two referees, may be sent to <firstname.lastname@example.org>. Applications will be received and reviewed until the position is filled. This position is subject to funding approval.