The Electronic Textual Cultures Lab (https://etcl.uvic.ca), an interdisciplinary research team on campus, seeks a part-time (typically 10-15 hours per week) U Victoria Research Assistant with technology-oriented interests focusing on digital humanities activities.
Specific duties may include one or more of the following:
1) Management of virtual machines
2) Applying system updates
3) Deployment and ensuring the uptime of web applications
4) Database optimization and troubleshooting
5) Fixing system issues as they arise
Experience & Qualifications
The successful candidate should be able to demonstrate skilled proficiency in the following tools and technologies:
– Remote Linux server deployment and administration
– Web server administration: Apache, Nginx
– Content management systems, including WordPress and Drupal
– Relational databases (esp. MySQL and PostgreSQL)
– XML/XSLT/HTML5/CSS3 and W3C Standards
– Distributed version control systems (based on Git)
– Experience with Solr, Elasticsearch, and Tika
– Experience with the deployment of other web frameworks, such as Django and Flask
The ability and desire to learn technologies on this list that the candidate lacks is an asset.
This position will be based in the Electronic Textual Cultures Lab at the University of Victoria (with the possibility of remote work for applicants living elsewhere in Canada). The ideal candidate will be a self-starter who can work both independently and with a consultative research team, with current affiliation to the academic sector.
The salary for this position will conform to standard Research Assistant rates, and the position will run from September 2020 to December 2020, with possibility for renewal.
Applications, comprising a brief cover letter, CV, and the names and contact information for three referees, may be sent electronically to email@example.com.
Applications will be reviewed beginning September 1st, and the position will remain open until a candidate is found.
Position subject to funding approval.