The Electronic Textual Cultures Lab (ETCL), an interdisciplinary research lab at the University of Victoria, seeks a part-time (8–12 hours per week) graduate research assistant for a limited-term position.
Specific duties may include one or more of the following:
- Researching and writing annotated bibliographies and other research publications
- Supporting training initiatives related to open scholarship and knowledge mobilization
- Developing and updating website content
- Supporting the development of a digital research and collaboration platform
- Assisting with planning and participating in project meetings, events, and consultations
- Assisting with planning the Digital Humanities Summer Institute (DHSI)
- Other related duties as assigned
Required experience and qualifications:
- Currently enrolled in a graduate program at the University of Victoria
- Interest in digital humanities and open scholarship
- Competency in standard office tools and software (e.g., Word, Excel, Google Docs) as well as with basic content management systems (e.g. WordPress)
- The ability and desire to learn new technological skills, as needed
- Exceptional organizational and communication skills
- Interest and experience in working collaboratively in a team environment
Desirable experience and qualifications:
- Experience conducting humanities and/or social science research
- Knowledge of or experience with knowledge mobilization
- Experience with distributed version control systems based on Git
The ideal candidate will be a self-starter who can work both independently and with a consultative research team. Please look at our lab website as well as the sites for our research partnership, INKE, and our training institute, DHSI, for a better sense of our work.
This position will be based in the Electronic Textual Cultures Lab in the Mearns Centre – McPherson Library, with hours scheduled between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.
The salary for this position will conform to standard Research Assistant rates, and the position will run until the end of July 2023, with possibility for renewal.
To apply, please send a brief cover letter, a CV, and the names and contact information for three referees by email to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed beginning in January, and the position will remain open until a candidate is found. Position subject to funding approval.